I make silly mistakes very often. With these free online proofreading tools, I not only figure them out but correct them.
Do you find it difficult to correct your grammar and spelling errors in your online writing? I do. However, with these free online proofreading tools, I can not only figure out my mistakes but also correct them.
Furthermore, these are powerful tools to correct grammar, spellings, punctuation, and vocabulary errors.
Again, one can consider proofreading is only for bloggers, but it is a myth. Even when you are composing an email for a client or a proposal on Upwork, they need to have the correct grammar, no spelling mistakes, have the right punctuation, etc.
Please don’t make the same mistake that I did, which is to think proofreading is only for bloggers. But before providing you details about proofreading tools, let’s understand what proofreading is.
What is Proofreading?
Proofreading is the review process for writing to ensure correct grammar, no spelling errors, adding all the punctuation, and aligning the audience’s content.
Proofreading is critical. As or blogger, proofreading is intuitive, but as a freelancer, it is a neglected process.
Many proofreaders can fix the grammar, spellings, punctuations, and vocabulary in writing, but it makes more sense for an author or blogger. As a freelancer, the online proofreading tools are enough.
So, these online proofreading tools ensure every piece of content, be it an article or an email, is error-free and easy to read. So, All the proofreading tools focus on the same criteria to align the content for its audience.
However, they eliminate the need for manual proofreaders for:
- Sentence structure
So let us now look into the free online proofreading tools.
Free Online Proofreading Tools
Ready to take your writings to another height? Let’s explore these seven free online proofreading tools available on the internet.
Grammarly is the most accurate grammar checker I have seen. I don’t have any doubt about it.
Before Grammarly, I was using the MS Word’s spell checker, and believe me, you may be living in a third-world country using MS Word’s spell and grammar checking tool. Grammarly points out grammar issues and punctuations in the best manner.
I am using it for the past couple of years, and I have upgraded to a premium account. But the free package is quite impressive for most of us.
- Real-time grammar correction
- Professional proofreading feature
- The high rate of accuracy
- Easy to understand the explanations
- Easy customizations (select preferred language, turn off/turn on, add words to the dictionary)
- Plagiarism checker
- Firefox extension doesn’t work on Quora and Medium.
Google Docs also provides an option for proofreading when composing an online doc. It integrates Thesaurus and many more online dictionaries for free.
Google Docs Pros:
- Free of cost
- Keep and save files
- Can share files with contacts
Google Docs Cons:
- No detailed editing advice
- Limited proofreading options
- It doesn’t have a browser plugin. So all proofreading has to be done by creating a file at Google Docs.
Ginger has developed a language enhancement tool to improve English skills and boost productivity. Instead of writing it in tricky words, I like to call it a tool similar to Grammarly.
- Offers comprehensive English corrections
- Works in Microsoft Office and browsers
- Lightweight application
- Built-in dictionary
- Automatic translator
- Sometimes fails to identify punctuations.
Polish My Writing is also known as After the Deadline, is one of the tools to check spelling, style, and grammar corrections. Moreover, one can use it as a WordPress plugin.
It uses artificial intelligence and natural language processing technology to identify grammatical mistakes and provides relevant suggestions.
Polish My Writing Pros:
- Contextual spell checking
- Advanced style checking
- Intelligent grammar checking
Polish My Writing Cons:
- Low accuracy
- Limited word suggestions
Paper Rater is a web-based proofreading tool that uses artificial intelligence for corrections. It includes features like grammar, plagiarism, spelling check, and word choice analysis.
It has both free and premium plans and a decent proofreading online tool. The free plan includes 50 checks, automated scoring, and ten plagiarisms check per month.
Paper Rater Pros:
- State of the art grammar checking
- Plagiarism detection
- Automated essay scoring
- Ease of use
- Good customer support
- Vocabulary builder
- Faster processing
Paper Rater Cons:
- Average accuracy plagiarism report
- Can’t only rely on Paper Rater reports
The language tool is a free and open-source grammar checker tool. The English language and multiple languages like Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Russian, and many more languages. It highlights the wrong phrases and spelling errors.
Works on every browser as an extension like for Chrome, Safari, or Mozilla.
Language Tool Pros:
- Supports multiple languages
- Easy to use
- Offer the option of a personal dictionary.
- Compatible with Mac, Microsoft, and Linux
- Get MS-Word add-on along with a standalone app.
Slick Write is an online free proofreading tool for bloggers, writers, SEO specialists, and students. Easy to check grammar errors, stylistic mistakes.
Slick Write Pros:
- Fast grammar checker
- Colour coded structure illustrations help you to check the structural strength of your content.
- No need to sign up for use
Slick Write Cons:
- The basic text editor needs a revamp and new features for easy formatting.
- It can’t import a text file or pdf files.
Reverso speller is an online proofreading tool available for free. It helps you correct grammatical mistakes as well as gives you online language translation for free.
One interesting thing on Reverso, it has a collaborative dictionary uploaded by users with translations and definitions.
Reverso Speller Pros:
- Helps master new language and words with suggestions
- Easy to use for beginners
Reverso Speller Cons:
- Not a full-fledged grammar correction tool
Writer.com goes above and beyond standard grammar checkers. In addition to covering the basics — grammar, punctuation, and tone — Writer performs more content checks than any other writing assistant.
Writer’s key differentiator is the ability to improve your writing for work. It checks for the right tone, writing style, and terminology for the audience. Writer.com also checks content for clarity, readability, conciseness, and bias.
- Grammar and spelling checker plus compliance, plain language, plagiarism, and inclusive language checks
- Configure content suggestions to your company’s brand voice
- Define and consistently use terms and phrases that set your brand apart from the competition
- Always apply critical messaging and ensure no one bungles your elevator pitch, value propositions, or mission statement again
- Customize your brand-specific content rules to correct edits you’re making over and over
- Customizable Writing Style: from how to write am/pm to whether you put spaces around em-dashes
- Use their Styleguide Portal to organize and share your brand guidelines in one place, for easy updating and sharing
Write better using some free online proofreading tools to take your writings on another level. I use Grammarly, and out of these eight options above, I highly recommend it.